Last spring, I registered Cassidi for kindergarten. We walked into the Elementary school, Cassidi clinging tightly to my hand. As we walked around the school, she became more and more quiet and squeezed my hand as if I were her saving life-line. I tried to speak cheerfully about going to school in the fall, but the words were shallow and rang false. All I could feel was fear flowing like an electric current between our clasped hands.
By the time we registered and left the school, I had to consentrate on not throwing-up at the curb. How could I send this sweet, innocent child into the hands of comeplete strangers? Who would protect her from that mean boy on the play ground? How would she know where to go and how to manuver the swirls of social complexities? Would she be ready? How can I send my angel to school? I CAN'T!
Four months passed; months in which I oselated between sending her to boot camp to rid myself permenantly and holding her as close as I could not ever wanting to be parted from her. Something happens at age 5. In birds they call it fledging. The sweet little bird becomes discontent with the nest and needs more room to grow. So they stretch their wings and are willing to fall out of the nest, with only a hope of flight. As much as I want to hold on to her and make her remain my baby, Cassidi is ready to fly. She wants to go.
So, mama bird puts on sunglasses to hide the tears as her beautiful, bright, bouncy girls bops right into class without a backwards glance.
Life will never be the same. We have begun a 13 year journey that will only end in a more permenant fledging. Perhaps by that time it will be more like flying south for the winter. A long winter, so far south, Mom and Dad can not peak in the window or rush to the curb ready to scoop the beautiful smiling girl into their arms, at each day's end. Until then, we will love every moment we get to witness the amazing transformation from tiny and adorable to bright and beautiful.
Cassidi's enthusiasm for life is contagious. Both Clanci and I want to go with her to class after the tales of adventure she tells. Here are a few of my favorite remarks from Cassidi:
"I was so busy working, I didn't get to think of Clanci."
"I have a hundred and forty-five friends."
"It was sooo fun, we played on the computers and had recess like five times."
"Mom, I am ready to ride the bus!"
"There was something awful that happened. My teacher said to listen and nobody did except me and they all got in trouble.'
"Dad, I think I'm ready for Saturday. That was a long day - I got really tired." (on Tuesday the 1st day)
5 comments:
Love Cassidi's quotes! That very first day of kindergarten is really hard--for the Mom. I'm glad she's liking it so much. This week (2 wks. into school) Zaak told me that school makes him tired.
On the first day of school he also told me that *You can't say ooh-la-la and roll around on the grass when it's time to line up.* Hmmm--good to know.
**Also I'm not a robot, but these word verifications are really hard!
Kate, it was a hard day for me. It is even harder for Clanci. She thought one day with Mom was fun and then after that she has been bored to tears. Preschool starts tomorrow, so that should help. I agree with Zaak, school does make you tired!
Oh man, that is funny. I don't know how I will handle it. I am sure I will cry, but I have 2 more years so I will cherish the moments as best as possible. Some days I wish she were in school be honest with you. Her quotes were very funny. Poor clanci I am sure she will adjust very well. Stacy tells me Braden is in Heaven he loves when all the kids go back to school. He was meant to be an only child. Ha
I can't believe they're so big already!
Post a Comment